Using the Right Methodologies for Delivery Excellence
Rapid changes in technology and inefficiencies in application development processes have led Federal agencies to rethink the way they acquire their application development services. Federal agencies want iterative, responsive approaches like Agile. Yet they still need contractors who have deep experience and expertise in managing and maintaining their legacy enterprise applications.
Citizant’s application development approach draws from decades of experience with Waterfall, Rapid Application Development, Iterative, Spiral, and Agile methodologies. Our successful enterprise application engagements include:
- Leading a multi-year, Waterfall-based modernization of the Financial Air Clearance and Transportation System for a DoD customer, using Web services to interact with a legacy mainframe application and EDI to exchange data with dozens of U.S. and international Government agencies
- Using rapid prototyping, Sprint-based Agile development, and industry information sharing agreements to launch Version 1 of the Web-based National Housing Locator – in response to Hurricane Katrina – in less than 3 months.
- Spearheading one of the first Federal programs to use an Agile approach on a cloud-based CRM implementation.
- Used Agile methods to build mission-critical systems for multiple agencies, one of which is responsible for generating fees in excess of $14B a year to fund U.S. healthcare programs.
We have successfully applied Agile practices on small and large application development and operation and maintenance projects. We use Agile development methods to deliver value quickly, providing increased transparency, while fulfilling the documentation requirements of traditional System Development Life Cycles (SDLC). We invested in SAFe certifications for our developers, and Certified ScrumMaster and Certified Scrum Product Owner training for Agile project leaders.
Agile Development in Support of the ACA
Citizant has emerged as a recognized leader in collaborating with Government agencies to mature their Agile development capabilities. Citizant leads the adoption of Agile application development methods, software reuse, automated testing, and support for technical integration efforts related to Affordable Care Act (ACA) implementation within the IRS. As an early adopter of Agile practices, we leveraged our familiarity with the customer’s system development life cycle and infrastructure — along with strong relationships with internal delivery partners — to create new processes that allowed the agency to respond more quickly to requests for Agile development and testing environments.
Citizant also provides development, maintenance, and enhancement services for two complex, legislatively driven ACA applications that are subject to strict delivery time frames, and have complex data and technology integration challenges with legacy and external agency data sources. Citizant’s Agile development approach delivered many benefits to ACA implementation, including:
- On Time, On Budget. Completing projects on time and on budget, while exceeding the organization’s needs.
- Practical Planning and Design. Saving costs during the requirements analysis and design phase by focusing on near-term functionality, allowing us to avoid wasting efforts to plan for future features that might change or be omitted.
- Early Risk Mitigation. Identifying project risks and deficiencies early when they could be remedied with little cost or schedule impact, rather than later in development when remediation is more costly.
- Adopting Emerging Technologies. Staying ahead of technology by identifying and adopting new technologies on a continuous basis, rather than waiting on completion of a multi-year, Waterfall delivery cycle during which technologies may become obsolete.
- Increased Collaboration. Bridging gaps between siloed functions reduces rework and allows for optimal use or resources.